The Thickness of Aluminum Foil Lab Essay Sample
In the survey of Chemistry. we encounter really big and really little Numberss. For illustration. the size of a molecule or thin bed of molecules is really. really little and hard to mensurate straight.
In order to “measure” such Numberss. we frequently use one measured measure and another known belongings to cipher the unknown value. In this experiment. we will utilize this attack to cipher the thickness of assorted types of aluminium foil. a measure whose direct experimental finding is non possible with common research lab equipment.
By mensurating the mass of a piece of foil and by ciphering its country. the thickness of the foil can be obtained from these measures and the known denseness of aluminium. 2. 70 g/cm3.
Show your work and express replies with the right figure of important figures and proper units.
1. Find the volume of a block with the dimensions L = 9. 16 centimeter. W = 3. 65 centimeter. H = 1. 01 centimeter.
2. If the denseness of a substance is 0. 734 g/cm3 and the volume of the substance is 21. 45 cm3. happen its mass.
3. Determine the thickness of a rectangular piece of paper with an country of 45. 3 cm2 and a volume of 7. 7 Ten 10-3 cm3. ( Hints: rewrite the expression for volume as length X breadth X thickness. Besides. what is the expression for country? )
1. Cut 2 rectangular pieces of regular aluminium foil and 2 rectangular pieces of heavy-duty aluminium foil. Be certain that the dimensions are at least 10 centimeter on each side. Record the type ( e. g. Reynolds Heavy Duty. Schnucks Regular ) of each piece of aluminium foil in the informations tabular array below.
2. Using the swayer. carefully mensurate the length and breadth of each piece of foil. Record the measurings in your informations tabular array. Take attention to enter your measurings with the appropriate figure of important figures. Record the length and breadth of each piece of aluminium foil in the informations tabular array below.
3. Using a balance. happen the mass of each piece of aluminium foil. Record the measurings in your informations tabular array. Take attention to enter your measurings with the appropriate figure of important figures. Record mass of each piece of aluminium foil in the informations tabular array below & gt ;
Foil Type |Length ( Cm ) |Width ( CM ) |Area
( CM2 ) |Volume ( cM3 ) |Mass ( g ) |Thick-ness
( Cm )
Known Density of Aluminum = 2. 70 g/cm3.
Refer to the prelab inquiries if needed for aid with computations. Show all of your work in and ORGANIZED. NEAT. and LEGIBLE manner. Use your UNITS. Use right figure of SIGNIFICANT FIGURES. Circle your ANSWER. Use the dorsum of this sheet if you need more room.
1. For each piece of foil. cipher its country. volume and thickness.
The denseness of aluminium is 2. 70 g/cm3.
• denseness = mass/volume
• country = length * breadth.
• volume = length * breadth * tallness ( which you could besides show as volume = country * tallness )
Show the expressions used in the computations and all work.
Sheet 1 Calculations:
Sheet 2 Calculations:
Sheet 3 Calculations:
Sheet 4 Calculations:
When you have calculated these values. enter them in the informations tabular array. Valuess should hold the appropriate figure of important figures and should be expressed in scientific notation if appropriate.
2. Compare your values with those of other pupils. and. if possible. with the true value of thickness given on the box of aluminium foil. How accurate are your consequences? How accurate were your measurings? Explain.
3. How precise are your replies?
4. If you had used a balance that merely allowed one important figure. how would this impact your consequences for:
5. Explain how this method could be used to find the thickness of an oil spill. What information would be needed to finish the computations?
6. A thin coating of gold was placed onto a tray that measured 27. 75 centimeter by 14. 25 centimeter. The mass of the tray increased by 0. 0624 g during the procedure. The denseness of gold is 19. 32 g/cm3. Calculate the thickness of the plating. Use the dorsum of this sheet if you need more room to demo complete computations.